Page 16 of the ‘K-1 Fiance Visa’ Category

Here you will find frequently updated information about K-1 Visas and immigrating to the United States to join your fiance. Don’t forget to visit our K1 Visa Overview page if you haven’t already.


Can I bring my wife to the U.S. if we were not married in the U.S.?

If the alien’s marriage to the U.S. citizen was contracted outside of the United States, the alien is applying in the country in which the marriage took place, or if there is no consular post in that country, then at a consular post designated by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services to accept immigrant visa applications for nationals of that country.

Read More »

Can My Fiance Visit Me in the U.S. While Waiting for a Fiance Visa?

You cannot reside in the U.S. on a tourist visa or Visa Waiver while waiting on a K1 Fiance visa or K3 Spousal visa. However, you can make a temporary visit using a B-2 tourist visa or on the Visa Waiver Program.

Read More »

Can You Expedite a K1 Fiancé Visa or K3 Spousal Visa?

Many people ask us if there is a way to expedite their K1 Fiance Visa or K3 Spousal Visa. Unfortunately unless you are in the U.S. military it is not possible to expedite the process once your petition is mailed to the USCIS.

Read More »

Scheduling an Interview Appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines

There are two ways to book an interview appointment: through the Embassy call center (Visa Information and Appointment Service) OR by visiting the online appointment website.

Scheduling an appointment through the Embassy call center
To schedule a visa appointment for IV or K petitions, please contact the Manila Visa Information and Appointment Service center hotlines at (632) 976-8500, (632) 976-8501 or (632) 976-8502.

Read More »

The Manila, Philippines Embassy Interview for K1 & K3

After check-in of applicants at the entry gate applicants will proceed to the Pavilion where they will submit their documents for data entry. Each applicant will receive a number. When you number is called you proceed to the appropriate window for finger scanning. After finger scanning documents including the DS-156 application for a nonimmigrant visa and passport will be returned to you for presentation to the interviewing officer.

Read More »

USCIS Case Numbers Explained

After filing a K-1 Fiance Petition or any other type of application with the USCIS, you will receive a Notice of Action on form I-797. The first block on this form lists your USCIS case number (although the form calls it a Receipt Number. This will always be a 13 digit number.

Read More »

How to Organize the Documents for a Fiance Visa

Assembling your K1 Visa package can seem like a daunting task. The petitions folks send in range from beautifully prepared packages that could win an award for organization to those that toss a mixed up mess in an envelope and chunk it in the mail.

Read More »

What Medical Problems Will Keep You Out of the U.S.?

If the USCIS feels you have a medical condition which would put United States citizens at risk, they will declare you inadmissible. The technical term used for this by the USCIS is “Medical Grounds of Inadmissibility”.

The conditions that can get you banned from entry to the United States are:

Read More »

Proof of Legal Ability to Marry

There are many reasons a K1 visa could be denied. However, before you ever get into the detail of the process, make sure you meet these three basic requirements:

You and your fiance have met within the two years prior to the filing the petition. It doesn’t matter if you have met a hundred times before that. You must show a bona fide intent to marry. You and your fiance must be legally able to marry.

Read More »

Proof of Having Met Your Fiance within Two Years

This one gets a surprising number of people. The rule is pretty simple. You need to have met your fiance in person sometime during the 24 month period ending on the date you file your K1 visa request (I-129F). The actual language is from Section 214(d) of the Act, 8 U.S.C. 5 1184(d) and reads in part that a fiance petition:

Read More »

Blog Categories

Blog Archives