The number and types of naturalization forms needed for filing vary.



N-400 Application for Naturalization
I-551 Permanent Resident Card (copies of front and back)
I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (if needed)
N-426 Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (if needed)
N-648 Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions (if applicable)
G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
N-426 Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service: This form needs to be filed with the initial N-400 if the applicant is basing their naturalization request on US military service

Two passport-style photographs: Color photos must be identical, be possessed of a white or off-white background and facial features must not be concealed behind glasses, religious head garments or the like. The USCIS further requests that applicants have their Alien Registration Number written on the backs of each photos. For more information on photograph requirements please click here.

Documents needed if naturalization application is based on marriage to a US citizen:

  • Evidence of spouse’s citizenship: A birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, photocopies of the citizen-spouse’s US passport or a Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America can be utilized to prove American citizenship.
  • Current marriage certificate
  • Proof that all prior marriage of citizen spouse have been terminated: Copies of death certificates, divorce or annulment orders or the like.
  • Documents linking applicant to the citizen spouse: Joint bank accounts, tax returns, mortgages and birth certificates of children must be submitted to the USCIS. Other proof of relations documents include IRS tax returns for the past 3 years or IRS-certified tax forms that both partners have filed over that same time period.
  • Proof of Ended Earlier Marriages: In addition to the US citizen showing dissolution of all prior marriages (if any), the foreign applicant must also show proof that any earlier marriages were concluded through annulment, divorce or death.

Interactions with Law Enforcement

The USCIS has specific documentary requirements for applicants having any sort of encounters with law enforcement. If an applicant was detained or arrested by law enforcement with no filed charges, a statement by the relevant agency must be submitted. If charges were filed against the applicant, court-certified documentation detailing the disposition of each charge must be provided.
If the applicant was convicted of a crime and placed in a prison-diversion program (boot camp, substance abuse program, or the like), official court documents reflecting dispositions on each charge must be presented, along with proof that the applicant completed the program. Note that failure to acknowledge these interactions or provide the required documentation can result in cancellation of the application process.

Failure to File Taxes

If the applicant has not filed and owes taxes, a signed document is required from the IRS or local state revenue office indicating that payment arrangements are being acted upon. Also, if the applicant has failed to file taxes, they must provide all communications they have had with the IRS.