Towards the end of the spousal visa process, the alien spouse will be required to attend an interview, where he or she will be asked a series of questions by a consular officer at the U.S. embassy or consulate. This is generally conducted in the country of origin, but in some cases could be in a nearby country.
The interview takes place in a private room and rarely lasts more than ten minutes. The U.S. petitioner is never required to attend the interview, although in many countries are free to do so. The officer uses predictable procedures, which could help you be ready for what to expect. Reading some of the questions below will also help you have a more successful interview.
Children included on a CR2 or IR2 visa must also attend the interview.
70 Spousal Visa Interview Questions
Here are 70 CR-1 sample spousal visa interview questions, which are examples of the kinds of questions you may be asked during the interview. Usually, the alien beneficiary would expect to answer between five and ten questions.
1. What is your spouse's name?
2. What are your spouse's hobbies & interests?
3. What make/model/color is your spouse's car?
4. What are your hobbies and interests?
5. What does your spouse do for a living?
6. What is your spouse's salary?
7. What do you do for a living?
8. Was your spouse married previously?
9. Tell me about your spouse's children.
10. What are your spouse's parent's names?
11. Will there be a problem with the children from a previous relationship?
12. Did you know that your spouse was previously divorced?
13. Where do you plan to live in the United States?
14. When and how did you meet your spouse?
15. How long have you been corresponding with your spouse?
16. Where did you get married?
17. How long has your spouse lived at their current address?
18. What is your spouse's religious background?
19. What is your religious background?
20. Does your spouse speak and understand your language?
21. Do you speak and understand your spouse's language?
22. How much did your spouse spend on their last trip to see you?
23. Has your spouse ever been convicted of a crime?
24. How do you communicate with your spouse?
25. Why do you want to come to the United States?
26. Where and how did you meet your spouse?
27. What is your spouse's full name?
28. How do you spell your spouse's middle name?
29. How long has your spouse been in the USA?
30. Are you a terrorist?
31. What are your other names?
32. Tell me about your wedding.
33. Did you have an engagement party/Who was there?
34. Do you/did you have honeymoon plans?
35. How many days a week does your spouse work?
36. Have you ever been to America?
37. What is your fiance's ex-spouse's name?
38. When do you plan on entering the USA?
39. Does your spouse have any siblings/What are their names?
40. What can you tell me about the state your spouse lives in?
41. When do you plan on leaving after entering the US?
42. Do you and your spouse have plans to have children in the future?
43. Have you met your spouse's parents?
44. Have you ever been denied a visa to any country?
45. What is your spouse's phone number/email address?
46. How often/how do you communicate with your spouse?
47. How old is your spouse?
48. How many times have you been married?
49. How old are your spouse's/your children?
50. What kinds of things do you enjoy doing together?
51. What was the last gift your spouse got you?
52. How does your family feel about the marriage?
53. How does your spouse's family feel about the marriage?
54. What are your favorite traits about your spouse?
55. As a couple, why did you decide to move to the USA rather than your country?
56. Who proposed, you or your spouse?
57. Describe the proposal/When was it?
58. What do you and your spouse have in common?
59. What is your spouse's favorite movie/musical artist/food?
60. How many times have you met in person?
61. How much time have you spent together in person?
62. How do you picture your life in 5 years?
63. Does your spouse have any pets/What are their names?
64. Do you know any of your spouse's friends?
65. How many people showed up to your wedding?
66. Where and when was your spouse born?
67. How long did you date before getting engaged?
68. Do you have any relatives in the USA?
69. Did your spouse go to college/Where?
70. What color are your spouse's eyes?