How to Organize the Documents for a Fiance Visa

Assembling your K1 Visa package can seem like a daunting task. The petitions folks send in range from beautifully prepared packages that could win an award for organization to those that toss a mixed up mess in an envelope and chunk it in the mail.

Read More »

What Medical Problems Will Keep You Out of the U.S.?

If the USCIS feels you have a medical condition which would put United States citizens at risk, they will declare you inadmissible. The technical term used for this by the USCIS is “Medical Grounds of Inadmissibility”.

The conditions that can get you banned from entry to the United States are:

Read More »

Obtaining a Philippine NBI Clearance

Philippine-born immigrant visa applicants 16 years and over are required to furnish certificates issued by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). The green NBI certificate annotated for travel abroad is the correct certificate. Other colors are for local use only.

Read More »

Proof of Legal Ability to Marry

There are many reasons a K1 visa could be denied. However, before you ever get into the detail of the process, make sure you meet these three basic requirements:

You and your fiance have met within the two years prior to the filing the petition. It doesn’t matter if you have met a hundred times before that. You must show a bona fide intent to marry. You and your fiance must be legally able to marry.

Read More »

Proof of Having Met Your Fiance within Two Years

This one gets a surprising number of people. The rule is pretty simple. You need to have met your fiance in person sometime during the 24 month period ending on the date you file your K1 visa request (I-129F). The actual language is from Section 214(d) of the Act, 8 U.S.C. 5 1184(d) and reads in part that a fiance petition:

Read More »

No Supporting Documents Frustrates Director

Today’s case involves an appeal that was neither sustained nor rejected. The Administrative Appeals Office instead sent the case back to the director who denied it. We don’t see many of these but they do happen. In this case the U.S. citizen petitioner applied to the Vermont Service Center for a K1 visa for his […]

Read More »

Employment Authorization & EAD

U.S. employers must check to make sure all employees, regardless of citizenship or national origin, are allowed to work in the United States. If you are not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may need to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to prove you may work in the United States.

Read More »

Blog Categories