Can I Apply for a CR1 Spousal Visa From Outside the U.S.?

14 Mar 2018

Blanca Rodriguez asks: “Can you complete the entire CR1 process through RapidVisa as a US citizen from outside the US? If so, will my documents be sent overseas or to my US address?”

In some cases, depending on the embassy, you can file for what is called a DCF, or Direct Consular Filing. There’s a list of approximately 30 embassies that have USCIS field offices. If they have that, you can actually process your petition there and RapidVisa can process those cases for you and all your paperwork.

The process is basically the same, except they eliminate the National Visa Center stage. There’s usually three stages to a spousal visa. There’s the USCIS stage, the National Visa Center stage, and the US Embassy stage. With the Direct Consular Filing, they just remove the NVC stage, or National Visa Center stage.

If they do not process it there (in the alien’s country), it’s recommended that you have the documents sent to your US address because if you file with the USCIS in the United States, they will mail your documents to your home address in the US. It has to be a US domicile. They will not mail them overseas. Now, it’s a different story once you get to the embassy stage. They’ll send the interview packet and things like that to the foreign spouse’s address.

One Thought on “Can I Apply for a CR1 Spousal Visa From Outside the U.S.?

  1. I want to avail the full service of CR1 Spouse Visa and CR2 for my daughter through Direct consular filing . Can Rapid Visa help me provide for the same ?

Leave a comment

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives

a-ratingCustomer Reviewsnevada-state-seal