If you have a Colombian fiancée and want her to come live with you in the United States, there are several requirements to obtain a K-1 visa.

First, you must have met in person in the last 24 months and you,the sponsor of the visa, must be a U.S. citizen. If this requirement is met, you can file your application. It can take 6-9 months (7 months on average) for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process Form I-129F (technically called the “Petition for Alien Fiancé”), and an additional 4-6 weeks for the agency to send an interview request at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.You also need to complete a medical exam before the interview.

Another option is to get married and file for the CR-1 spousal visa. With the K-1 visa visa, you come to the United States and have 90 days to marry. After marrying, you file for adjustment status to obtain your green card. That process is another six to eight months. So you could be looking at well over a year to get a green card if you choose the fiancé visa route.

With the spousal visa, the process typically takes seven to nine months, but at the end you have a green card. So if it’s important that your current fiancée is able to work and travel, you may want to consider the spousal visa. However if you want your fiancée to join you quickly in the United States, then the K-1 visa might be the best choice.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Can I Apply For a K1 Visa From a Country Other Than My Own?
What’s the Difference Between a Fiancé Visa and a Spousal Visa?
Paying Immigration Fees via Bank Draft Check or Money Order

Blog Categories