Larissa asks: “How soon after you marry a US citizen can you get citizenship?” 

If you obtain your green card based on marriage, you have to wait three years to naturalize. 

Timelines for naturalization vary, so make sure you check the processing times for Form N-400 on the USCIS website. The three-year timeline also applies to you if you’re a green card holder that married a U.S. citizen while on a green card. Your timeline for naturalization then reduces to three years from the date of issue of your green card

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Medical Exam Not Usually Required for Adjustment of Status From K-1 Fiancee Visa
Adjustment of Status Medical Exams (Excluding K1)
Income Requirements for Fiancé (K1) and Spousal (CR1) Visas

Blog Categories