Moving on next question comes from Marlin. “And I’m currently in the United States on a student visa and want to marry my boyfriend a US citizen. What visa do I need and how do I get it?”

If you’re in the United States on a student visa and want to marry your U.S. partner, the most straightforward approach is to use the Adjustment of status (AOS) process to adjust your visa to a green card.

To use AOS, you must have entered the United States on a valid visa or the Visa Waiver Program. If you’re marrying a U.S. citizen you can use AOS even if you overstayed on a visa, as long as you originally entered the United States with a valid visa or visa waiver.

If you use the AOS process, you must be careful not to trigger the 90-day rule, which means to wait at least 90 days after last entering the United States before applying to adjust your status to a green card. An important caveat to this is that filing Form I-130 does not trigger the 90-day rule but that filing Form I-485 does. However, as these are typically filed at the same time for AOS cases, make sure that the 90-day rule doesn’t apply to you at time of filing.

After you marry your partner, you need to file the following forms — typically at the same time:

  1. Form I-130 — completed and signed by your spouse who is a U.S. citizen
  2. Form I-485 (officially called the “Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status”) — to be completed and signed by you, the F-1 student

As long as you married your U.S.-citizen spouse “in good faith” — that is, you did not marry for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card, which you’ll need to prove to the U.S. government — you should be able to receive your green card within 10 to 13 months from the time USCIS receives your application package.

Finally, you will have to provide biometrics and you might also have to be interviewed by USCIS.

While your Form I-485 is pending, you must not travel outside the United States until you have a travel permit. Otherwise, the U.S. government will consider your marriage-based green card application “abandoned,” and you will need to start the application process all over again.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

What If I Marry Someone Different Than My K1 Petitioner?
Can I Get Married on a Tourist Visa? (Then Adjust Status)
K1 Visa Requirements in 2020

Blog Categories