Does a fiancé visa applicant (now spouse) waiting on a green card have the ability to travel or work before the green card is granted?

If you filed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, and Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, along with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, you should receive your “combo card” which is both your advance parole, and work permit after some time.

This is before you’ll receive the actual green card. Currently, the combo card is taking approximately 3-5 months to receive. The timeline for this has continued to creep up at the time of this video.

So basically, if you enter on a fiance visa, be prepared to not work or travel for 5 months (or possibly longer). This is why it’s very important to get your adjustment of status filed as soon as possible. Get the gears moving on it because it’s not speeding up anytime soon. The longer you wait, the longer it will take.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Can I Get a K-1 Fiancé Visa From Pakistan to the USA?
Philippine Customers: Order your Birth Certificate Online
Philippine Customers: How to track your Passport/Visa

Blog Categories