Will the Lack of a Chinese Birth Certificate Be a Problem for a Visa?

03 Nov 2017

Live from Las Vegas, what’s our next question?

Joseph Clifton. My girlfriend is Chinese, she is not born in a hospital so she doesn’t have her birth certificate, but a household registry, which is an official Chinese document.

Yeah, that’s a common situation. The short answer is no, of course if they’re not issuing birth certificates you don’t need one. The household registry is an official document there. Now you do have to get it … maybe Rick can chime in for the right terminology. You’ve got to get it certified, or what is it?

Certified, notarized. There’s certain locations, certain civil authorities that you do have to have it registered by, so it’s basically in our country, it’s considered notarized. Those books are also called, referred to as family registry books, household registry books, those are quite common. Just take it to your local civil authority. Make sure it’s certified and in most cases you can use those.

In some cases we’ve still seen RFE’s, that’s request for evidence, coming from those simply because sometimes the translations that are provided are not 100% accurate, so those family registry books or household registry books also have to be translated and that’s very important that those are accurate or you can expect to receive an RFE, but those are acceptable documents.

Yeah, one thing I’ll say in general about documents is there’s always a way to get it done with a document that the state department and the CIS, they do recognize when there are limitations in documents. For instance, I think before the ’70s birth certificates also weren’t issued in India, so they know of all of these loop holes, all the situations and there’s always a solution, so whatever document it is, for instance if your divorce certificate was lost when the court house was burned down here in the U.S. there’s a solution for that, which is you’re going to need documentation from that county government indicating the records were lost or something.

For every document there is an answer. There’s a way to solve the problem, unless of course you’re just trying to avoid giving up the document then there’s no way around that. They are well aware of situations like mentioned in the question.


Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives