Should I Have an I-94 in my Passport?

21 Dec 2011

All travelers with or without visa will be asked to complete an I-94 Arrival/Departure Record form before landing in the United States.  Travelers without a visa use the green form and travelers with a visa use the white from.

The bottom part of the form is perforated and will be detached by the CBP officer and stapled in your passport.  You must surrender this when you leave the United States.  If for some reason you didn’t surrender the I-94 when you left the United States you could have trouble the next time you try to enter the United States.  To correct this situation after you have already left the United States you should send your I-94 to:


1084 South Laurel Road

London KY 40744


You can’t mail or take your I-94 to a U.S. Consulate or Embassy to any other CBP Office in the United States or to any address other than the one above.  Go here to read more about what to do if you didn’t surrender your Form I-94.

Starting in the summer of 2010 the I-94 is no longer required for nonimmigrant visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program by air or sea and who have obtained a travel authorization via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).  This means that if you entered under the Visa Waiver Program by air or sea you will not have an I-94 in your passport.  Form I-94 will continue to be required if you enter at a land border.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives