If the alien's marriage to the U.S. citizen was contracted outside of the United States, the alien is applying in the country in which the marriage took place, or if there is no consular post in that country, then at a consular post designated by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services to accept immigrant visa applications for nationals of that country.

If you were married outside the United States, your wife needs to use the U.S. embassy in the country where you were married unless that country does not have a U.S. embassy. For example, if you were married in Iran, you would use the U.S. embassy in Turkey since, there is no U.S. embassy in Iran.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

What If I Marry Someone Different Than My K1 Petitioner?
K1 Visa Requirements in 2020
Can I Use a Tourist Visa to Get Married in the US?

Blog Categories