Make progress today

If a U.S. citizen plans to marry a foreign citizen the most important advice we can offer is to begin the preparations early to bring the new fiance(é) or spouse to the United States. Depending on the circumstances processing time can take as long as several months. The preparation and timeline is even more critical when children will accompany or follow-to-join the principal visa holder in the United States.

K-1 Fiance(é) Visa

Children (unmarried and below 21 years of age) of a K-1 applicant may derive immigration benefits from the same I-129F petition and are issued “K-2” visas. Children identified in the approved I-129F petition are called “derivatives”.

Derivatives may apply at the same time as the principal applicant parent or may apply later but must be issued K-2 visas within one year from the date the K-1 visa was issued to the principal applicant parent. Derivatives who are following-to-join the principal applicant parent must apply for their K-2 visas in a timely manner to allow visa issuance within the required period.

CR-1/IR-1 Spousal Visa

Children (below 21 years of age and unmarried) of the foreign spouse are also eligible to apply for IR visas if individual petitions are filed on their behalf by the U.S. citizen spouse. Under U.S. immigration law only children under the age of 18 at the time their natural parent married a U.S. citizen are considered “step-children” for immigration purpose. Children who were 18 years or older at the time of the marriage may not be petitioned as step-children. They may be petitioned by the Filipino parent after he/she becomes a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States.

When you are ready for your Fiancé Visa click here. Or for a Spousal Visa click here. Remember does them faster or cheaper than RapidVisa.

Make progress today

Reference: USCIS, Travel.State.Gov and Embassy of the United States

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Should I Get Immunizations For a Fiance Visa if I Lost My Shot Records?
What Medical Problems Will Keep You Out of the U.S.?
Why Doesn’t the Philippines Allow Joint Sponsors for the K1 Visa?

Blog Categories