How Do I Qualify For U.S. Citizenship?

13 Apr 2018

“What do I have to do to qualify for U.S. citizenship?”

The first step is to enter the US and become a permanent resident, or green card holder. There are many different paths to a green card, but most of RapidVisa’s customers fall under the family category, and more specifically, marriage-based. This is usually through a fiance or spousal visa, or someone who is in the US on a different visa, and gets married to a US citizen and adjusts status to obtain a green card.

So, if you obtain your green card through marriage, via the methods I just mentioned, and

  • You have no “special circumstances”
  • You’re currently married to and living with a US citizen
  • You have been married to that US citizen for the past 3 years
  • Your spouse has been a US citizen for the past 3 years
  • You’ve been a permanent resident for at least 3 years
  • You haven’t left the US for more than 6 months

Then, barring any unique circumstances, you could be eligible to naturalize.

This is the most common path to citizenship that RapidVisa’s customers see, however there are several others. They have similar requirements, but if the green card was not obtained through marriage, the period of time you must hold your green card before naturalization is 5 years instead of 3.

Now, you’ll also be required to be of ‘good moral character’ and pass an English & Civics Knowledge Test. You’ll also be required to declare your ‘attachment to the Constitution’, which is an oath of allegiance that you will have to swear 3 things:

  • Renounce foreign allegiances
  • Support and defend the Constitution
  • Serve the United States

If you meet all these requirements, We’d love to help you apply for your citizenship. Just create your free account at to get started.

Leave a comment

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives

a-ratingCustomer Reviewsnevada-state-seal