All Filipinos going abroad as fiancées, spouses or family members of foreign nationals are required to attend the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) guidance and counseling session in order to secure the Guidance and Counseling Certificate (GCC) and the CFO sticker. You can’t leave the airport without it. This is a requirement of the Philippine government, not the United States government.
You will also need to present this certificate together with your visa, at the Immigration office at the international airport on your day of departure.
To attend the Guidance and Counseling program of the CFO, you can go to the CFO office in Manila or Cebu. The counseling session runs for a minimum of four hours and is meant to provide you with adequate information regarding inter-marriage and migration, the cultural and social realities of living abroad as well as available support networks for women in distress.
After you comply with all the requirements and finish the counseling session, you will be given the Guidance and Counseling Certificate which you will have to bring along with other pertinent documents, to the CFO, for registration.
Once you have your USA visa, you will need to register with the CFO and received your CFO Sticker which will be affixed on your Philippine passport. So while you can attend the seminar before you get the visa, you will have to return after you have the visa in your passport to get the CFO sticker.
You can use the CFO office in Metro Manila or Metro Cebu, whichever is most convenient for you. There are not other places to get this done.
Please check the schedule of the counseling session before proceeding to CFO because it is country-specific and the slots are limited only to 15 per session. It is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Click the link below to go to the CFO site and see the schedule.
The fee for the counseling is PhP 400.00.
You will be required to bring numerous documents to the CFO seminar including the following list. These requirements can change at any time so you should also check the requirements listed on the official CFO site.
Requirements for Registration
- Original and Photocopy of Passport (biographic page with information and photo);
- Original and Photocopy of Birth Certificate (From NSO or CTC from Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO)
- Original and Photocopy of Visa, if applicable
- Original and Photocopy of Marriage Contract, if married (From NSO or CTC from Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO)
- Photocopy of Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)
- Photocopy of proof of termination of any prior marriage(s) (court certified copies of divorce decrees, annulments or registrar certified copies of death certificates), if applicable.
- Original CFO guidance and counseling certificate;
- Duly completed emigrant registration form; and
- Payment of the authorized registration fee.
Required Documents from U.S. Citizen (U.S. citizen does not attend)
- Photocopy Passport (biographic page with information and photo)
- Photocopy of Birth Certificate
- Proof of termination of any prior marriage(s) (court certified copies of divorce decrees, annulments or registrar certified copies of death certificates), if applicable.
- Photocopy of Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Capacity to Marry (from U.S. Embassy), if married in the Philippines.
CFO Manila Address, Email and Phone
Citigold Center, 1345 Pres. Quirino Avenue
corner Osmeña Highway (South Superhighway)
Manila, Philippines 1007
Tel. No.: (02) 552-4700
Fax No.: (02) 561-8332
CFO Cebu Address, Email and Phone
4th Floor, K&J Building,
#4 Don Julio Llorente St.,
Capitol Site, Cebu City 6000
Telefax: (032) 255-5253