Can I Travel Abroad While My Adjustment of Status Application Is Pending?

Find out why it's generally not a good idea to travel while your green card application is processing

If you’ve applied for a green card via the adjustment of status process, you may be wondering if you’re permitted to travel outside the U.S. without jeopardizing your application. In this guide, you will learn why traveling abroad while your application is pending is risky, and what your options are.

Traveling Outside the U.S. While Your Application Is Pending

In general, if you have not yet received a decision on your application, you should avoid traveling outside the United States while your adjustment of status application is pending. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) considers leaving the country while your application is still under review as abandoning it, resulting in immediate denial.

Obtaining a Travel Permit

If traveling abroad is unavoidable due to work or family needs, you can apply for a travel permit that will allow you to leave the country while your adjustment of status application is being processed. This document, known as “advance parole,” will allow you to re-enter the U.S. as long as it’s still valid at the time of re-entry.

IMPORTANT: You cannot travel outside the U.S. until your travel permit has been approved. USCIS will deny your adjustment of status application if you travel abroad without an approved travel permit.

Traveling Inside the U.S. While Your Application Is Pending

Fortunately, traveling within the U.S., including visiting family members in other states or taking a vacation within U.S. borders, will not affect your adjustment of status case at all — even if it’s still pending with USCIS. Keep in mind, however, that any trips taken during this period should only be taken for pleasure or leisure; employment-related trips are strictly prohibited until you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or your green card application is approved.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

A list of countries where U.S. residents — both citizens and legal permanent residents — can travel to during the pandemic
Ask An Immigration Attorney: What happens if something comes up in my medical exam and I need to reschedule my interview?
How Do I Get a Copy of My Divorce Decree?

Blog Categories