Mike asks: “My fiancé and I have just completed the application for a K1 visa and we would like to know if her 20-year-old daughter’s age will be frozen for the K-2 visa while the application is being processed.”

The K-2 nonimmigrant (child of a K-1 nonimmigrant who is the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen), must be unmarried and under 21 when they are admitted to the United States. The age is not frozen at the time of application. However, K-2 holders don’t age out of green card eligibility if they were admitted to the U.S. as a K-2 visa holder when under 21. It’s also possible, in some cases, that Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) provisions could apply.

If the child ages out during the application process, the biological parent of the child can petition for them after receiving their green card.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Proof of Having Met Your Fiance within Two Years
How Long Does the K-1 Fiancé Visa Process Take?
My Adjustment of Status Was Denied – Appeal or Reapply?

Blog Categories