Independent attorneys in the RapidVisa network answer common U.S. immigration questions

Can I come to the U.S. with my tourist visa and apply for a green card when I get there?

Entering the United States on a temporary visa, such as a tourist or work visa, with the intention of doing either of the following is considered a "misrepresentation" of one's purpose for coming to the United States:

- Marrying a U.S. citizen or green card holder to live permanently in the United States

- Applying for a marriage-based green card

The U.S. government considers both of the above actions as unlawful, and they're likely to result in serious consequences, such as being placed in removal proceedings (deportation) or having one's visa revoked (invalidated).

IMPORTANT: Please note that RapidVisa does not help anyone who expresses explicit intent to violate the terms of their temporary visa in order to apply for a marriage-based green card.

The situation is different, however, for those who arrived in the United States on a temporary visa — fully intending to return to their home country before their visa expired — but whose plans unexpectedly and legitimately changed while visiting the United States. Under such circumstances, they also decided to stay in the United States and apply for a marriage-based green card.

It's important for applicants in this situation to be aware of the "90-day rule."

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

The Basics of Filing Taxes for Immigrants
The Marriage Green Card Interview, Explained
Creating Flawless Digital Documents

Blog Categories