What is Advance Parole & How Do I Apply?

15 Nov 2019

Advance Parole, otherwise known as a Travel Document or Travel Permit, is a document that permits an alien who is awaiting lawful permanent resident status to travel abroad and return to the United States without another visa. Such persons include those who have applied for adjustment of status but haven’t received their green card yet.

Advance parole must be approved before the applicant leaves the United States, or any residency application may be denied unless exceptional circumstances are demonstrated by the alien. It is granted when immigration document Form I-512 is issued, which enables an alien to be paroled into the United States. It is not a U.S. visa or a re-entry permit; it is only issued to people without permanent residency.

How do you apply for advance parole?

  • First, file using Form I-131 and supporting documents.
  • Keep in mind the application fee is no longer waived when filling with I-485 or when the I-485 is still pending.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Blog Categories

    Blog Archives

    Blog Archives