What Ways Can I Lose My Green Card?

03 Aug 2018

“Is there anything that could cause me to lose my green card?”

There are several ways one can lose their permanent residency status. Below are the main ways.


As a permanent resident, your intention is to live permanently int he US. So if you leave the country for more than 180 days, you’re considered to have moved away and no longer permanently reside in the US. Therefore, your green card is considered abandoned and your status revoked. You can get an advance parole to notify the government that you are leaving for an extended period. This will ensure you don’t inadvertently lose your green card.

Immigration Fraud

If you are convicted of immigration fraud, your status will be revoked and you may even face jail time or deportation. According to the USCIS Policy Manual:

Inadmissibility based on fraud requires a finding that a person knowingly made a false representation of a material fact with the intent to deceive the other party.
For a person to be inadmissible for having procured entry, a visa, other documentation, or any other benefit under the INA by fraud, the officer must find all of the following elements:

  • The person procured, or sought to procure, a benefit under U.S. immigration laws;
  • The person made a false representation;
  • The false representation was willfully made;
  • The false representation was material;
  • The false representation was made to a U.S. government official, generally an immigration or consular officer;
  • The false representation was made with the intent to deceive a U.S. government official authorized to act upon the request (generally an immigration or consular officer); and
  • The U.S. government official believed and acted upon the false representation by granting the benefit.

Criminal Activity

This one is common sense. If you commit a major crime, you may lose your status. Stay out of trouble and you should be fine.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives