Traveling Abroad Before Adjusting Status

08 Jan 2020

Would it be possible to get married in the US on a K1 visa and come back to the Philippines right after marriage while processing for adjustment of status?


The K1 fiance visa is a single-entry visa. This is not a multiple-entry visa. It is for the sole purpose of coming to the United States, getting married and filing for the adjustment of status to get a green card. So for this reason, no, you should not travel until you get your green card in most cases. If you have an emergency come up and you’re unable to get your green card and file for adjustment status, at a minimum you need to file for what is called advance parole. This is also known as a travel document.

You do not want to leave the United States without that travel document. And here’s why.

If you travel back to the Philippines without that travel document there is a good chance that the CBP agents are going to block you from reentering the United States and you may have to start the process all over again. We’ve heard this happen far too many times. Someone comes to the United States, they get married and then they get the call that a family member’s sick and then they’ve got to travel back before they’d even applied for the green card or received the advance parole card. Then they set themselves back up to a year and thousands of dollars.

When you adjust your status with RapidVisa, we can help with the travel document. It is important that you inform us if you have an emergency when you’re applying for your adjustment of status at 800-872-1458.
Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives