Is a copy of a birth certificate and divorce papers acceptable to USCIS or do I need originals?

Make progress today

You should never send original supporting evidence to the USCIS, unless they specifically ask for it. Always send a photocopy. The USCIS won't return you your original supporting documents back either, so be prepared to never see them again if you send those in. You will need to send some original "wet signature" documents, but in terms of supporting documents like birth certificates, death certificates, divorce decrees, etc., only send copies. This also goes for RapidVisa customers. Don't send RapidVisa any original supporting items unless you are prepared for those to be never returned to you. This goes for fiance visas, spousal visas, adjustment of status and all other petition types.

We have seen a couple cases where the consular officer at the US Embassy has requested originals, which you would bring with you to the Embassy and those have been returned to the owners. But keep in mind, these were only cases when specifically requested.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Can I Apply for Advance Parole If I Already Received My EAD?
Will a Felony Give Me Trouble With My K1 Fiance Visa?
My Fiance/Girlfriend is Older Than Me – Problem For K1 Visa?

Blog Categories