IR5 Parent Visa

  1. Resources
  2. Glossary
  3. IR5 Parent Visa

The IR-5 visa allows a U.S. citizen to sponsor their foreign-born parent or parents to permanently live in the United States. The U.S. citizen sponsor must be at least 21 years or older and must be able to financially support the parent until they start working.

The application process differs depending on where the parent lives. If they live outside the U.S. they will apply for their green card using consular processing. If they already live in the U.S. then they will apply using the adjustment of status process.

The parent will be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship five years after obtaining their green card.