Advance Parole (AP)

  1. Resources
  2. Glossary
  3. Advance Parole (AP)

Advance Parole, otherwise known as a Travel Document or Travel Permit, is a document that permits an alien who is awaiting lawful permanent resident status to travel abroad and return to the United States without another visa. Such persons include those who have applied for adjustment of status but haven't received their green card yet.

Advance parole must be approved before the applicant leaves the United States, or any residency application may be denied unless exceptional circumstances are demonstrated by the alien. It is granted when immigration document Form I-512 is issued, which enables an alien to be paroled into the United States. It is not a U.S. visa or a re-entry permit; it is only issued to people without permanent residency.

Upon receiving the I-485 receipt notice, the applicant has a pending I-485. Unless one holds another valid multiple-entry visa to re-enter the US, like a student visa (F1 or M1) or a work visa (H1B or L1), one must get the travel permit before leaving the country. Otherwise, an individual is likely to be denied re-entry and any green card application will be considered abandoned.

If an individual has overstayed their visa when applying for adjustment of status or they have violated their visa status, travel permits cannot guarantee re-entry.

How to Apply for Advance Parole

Advance Parole Articles