I Was Recently Hired. Do I Still Need Tax Returns? (Immigration)

23 May 2019

“I just started working… I can’t provide my last year’s taxes, only an employment letter and an estimated annual salary. Is it enough for my affidavit of support?”

You are required to provide your most recent tax returns (ideally transcripts). If you didn’t file taxes, you’ll need to provide at least evidence that you are exempt from filing taxes. Otherwise you’ll need to file past tax returns and at least set up a payment plan with the IRS for the penalties and fees because, if you just ignore and pretend last year didn’t exist, you’re just inviting a multi-month delay and a request for evidence, which is what we usually see if you’re not cooperating with what is required by the government. You have to provide this if you want to get approved and if you want to go through the process as smoothly as possible.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Blog Categories

Blog Archives

Blog Archives