In the case of a K-1 nonimmigrant who marries the petitioner within 90 days of admission, the K-1 nonimmigrant (and any K-2 children who are otherwise eligible) may obtain adjustment of status without the need for Form I-360 just as they would have been eligible for adjustment without Form I-130, if the petitioner had not died.

If an alien was admitted as a K-3 or K-4 nonimmigrant, the Form I-130 filed for the K-3 is converted to a Form I-360 upon the citizen petitioner’s death.  The K-4 can then “accompany or follow to join” the K-3 based on that Form I-360.   A widow(er)’s eligibility for adjustment ends if the widow(er) remarries before obtaining LPR status.

Provided the alien was residing in the United States when the qualifying relative died, and still resides in the United States, an officer now has authority to approve any immigrant visa petition that was pending when the qualifying relative died provided the petition was approvable when filed and still is approvable apart from the death of the qualifying relative.  Therefore, assuming all other requirements for approval of a petition are met, the death of the qualifying relative no longer requires denial of a petition in a case involving an alien who meets the requirements.

Reference: PM-602-0017: Subject New INA Section 204(l)

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Can I Apply for a CR1 Spousal Visa From Outside the U.S.?
8 warning signs of a U.S fiancé visa scam
I Was Recently Hired. Do I Still Need Tax Returns? (Immigration)

Blog Categories