Can I apply for a fiance visa even if I don’t have a job, as long as I have a joint sponsor?

You can certainly apply for a K1 fiance visa if you are currently unemployed. Please note that some U.S. Embassies may not accept joint sponsors for the K-1 fiance visa (e.g. U.S. Embassy, Manila Philippines) whereas, most U.S. Embassies do accept joint sponsors for the CR-1 spousal visas.

Before any fiancé can receive a K-1 fiance visa, the U.S. citizen petitioner must must show that he or she earns enough money to support the foreign fiancé and to prevent him or her from becoming a public charge and receive means tested benefits.

The U.S. citizen petitioner must fill out a USCIS Form I-134, Affidavit of Support. By filling out this form the U.S. citizen petitioner becomes what is known as a sponsor.

The minimum financial requirements for Affidavits of Support are determined by the U.S. government’s Poverty Guidelines on USCIS Form I-864P.

If the U.S. citizen petitioner doesn’t meet the minimum income requirements, they may be able to use a joint sponsor. A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant.

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publishing. Immigration is constantly changing, and old information often becomes outdated, including procedures, timelines, prices, and more. Take note of the publish date. For archival purposes, these posts will remain published, even if new information renders them obsolete. Do not make important life decisions based on this content. No part of this post should be considered legal advice, as RapidVisa is not a law firm. This content is provided free of charge for informational purposes only. If anything herein conflicts with an official government website, the official government website shall prevail.

Related Posts

Does My Fiancé Need a Round-Trip Ticket? (K1 Visa)
Does a Joint Custody Child Pose a Factor in Visa Financial Requirements
Will USCIS or a U.S. Embassy Look at My Social Media?

Blog Categories

  • No related categories.