Getting a Divorce Certificate in the Philippines

Divorce was recognized in the Philippines between March 11 1917 and August 29 1950; since the latter date courts have been empowered to grant legal separation (annulment) but not divorce. Even during the period of legal recognition divorces were rare in the Philippines because of limited legal grounds for granting divorces. Certified copies of the […]

Read More »

What happens if the sponsor dies before the K-1 or K-3 recipient receives a green card?

In the case of a K-1 nonimmigrant who marries the petitioner within 90 days of admission, the K-1 nonimmigrant (and any K-2 children who are otherwise eligible) may obtain adjustment of status without the need for Form I-360 just as they would have been eligible for adjustment without Form I-130, if the petitioner had not died.

Read More »

What if I don’t have copies of my tax returns for my Affidavit of Support?

You are required to attach a copy of your most recent tax return to your I-134 or I-864 Affidavit of Support.  Optionally you can include your last 3 tax returns.  If you don’t have copies of your tax return you can get free transcripts from the IRS at the link below…

Read More »

Reasons why a person may be ineligible to enter the United States

  There are many reasons why a person may be ineligible to enter the United States. The legal descriptions are complicated and lengthy but we have listed the most common reasons for denial below. You may be denied entry if: If you have a communicable disease If you have a criminal record for crimes of […]

Read More »

CFO Seminar for all Filipinos Receiving a K-1 or K-3 Visa

All Filipinos going abroad as fiances or spouses of foreign nationals are required to attend the Commission on Filipinos Overseas's (CFO) guidance and counseling session in order to secure the Guidance and Counseling Certificate (GCC) and the CFO sticker. They won't let you leave the country without this sticker and certificate in your passport. This […]

Read More »

Does the Form I-134 or Form I-864, Affidavit of Support need to be notarized?

No. The sponsor just has to sign the form. You should know however, when the sponsor signs an Affidavit of Support form, he/she certifies that the information provided, transcript and/or photocopy of tax documentation is true and correct, under penalty of perjury.

Read More »

Can I bring my wife to the U.S. if we were not married in the U.S.?

If the alien’s marriage to the U.S. citizen was contracted outside of the United States, the alien is applying in the country in which the marriage took place, or if there is no consular post in that country, then at a consular post designated by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services to accept immigrant visa applications for nationals of that country.

Read More »

Can My Fiance Visit Me in the U.S. While Waiting for a Fiance Visa?

You cannot reside in the U.S. on a tourist visa or Visa Waiver while waiting on a K1 Fiance visa or K3 Spousal visa. However, you can make a temporary visit using a B-2 tourist visa or on the Visa Waiver Program.

Read More »

Why Do K1 and K3 Visa Beneficiaries Receive a Conditional Green Card?

The two year conditional green card is a result of the Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986 (IMFA).  At the time Congress was hearing testimony from U.S. citizens about numerous alien spouses who left their sponsor shortly after obtaining their green card.  There was also growing concerns about marriage for hire schemes where U.S. citizens were […]

Read More »

How Long Can a Green Card Holder Stay Outside the United States?

As a permanent resident or conditional permanent resident you can travel outside the United States for up to 6 months without losing your green card. Staying outside the United States for more than 6 months but less than one year will subject you to additional questioning when you return to the United States but you are not required to have a Reentry Permit and shouldn’t have any problems getting back in.

Read More »

Blog Categories